Friday, September 08, 2006

Requiem

Yesterday, I found out my childhood pet died. He was old. We could never come up with a definitive answer, but he was probably about 18 years old. We picked him out of a litter of strays because he was the most active and playful. As time went on, though, he became elusive and lazy. Many times when he was a young cat you could find him laying on one of the beds purring loudly with his eyes closed. It really did sound like a motor running. During his middle age he would run off when guests came and just disappear for weeks at the time. We shared the desire for isolation. While dating Tammy and I watched him stare at a spot on the wall in my bedroom for about two hours. We suffered a lot together. He kept me company when some of the most traumatic events of my life occurred. I saved him when he had kidney problems and could do nothing but cry in agony.

It turns out he ended up getting hit by a car and slowly dying for a couple of days. I hoped he would be able to pass quietly and naturally into the infinite sleep, but unfortunately that is not the fate the universe decided to deliver. I will miss Rambo kitty. He meant a lot to me. I have included a photocast as a link that I will try to update as I find more pictures of him.





2 comments:

John Goodall said...

my condolences .... too bad he had to go that way.

Chris Hopper said...

Thank you so much. Your condolences are appreciated.