Saturday, February 25, 2006

the horror, the horror

Wow. I have seen some bad horror movies in my days, but I have to say Darkness Falls was one of the worst. I posted this at the Home Theater Forum several years ago.


I found it to be horribly predictable. While I understand the concept of fantasy and am a great fan of surrealism, there were so many contradictions through the film that I stopped questioning rationality at all by the end. However, toward the end of the movie you could tell from dialog and bad acting which character was going to die next. The end followed the same worn formula that so many "horror" and action films have been following since the early 90's. It truly seems that most new horror films are being made by dispassionate directors that will make a film of any genre to get a chance at their first big break. I am a big horror fan (especially Romero and Argento), and it sincerely breaks my heart to see a movie like this joining the rest of the garbage polluting my favorite genre.

What makes me post this? Fangoria online has let it be known that the director of Darkness Falls is directing the new Friday the 13th movie. I guess it can't be much worse than Jason X or Freddy Vs. Jason.

No comments: