Friday, February 24, 2006

Lord of all fever and plague

Last week I was pretty sick. I had the time to do a few constructive things while enjoying the convenience of actually being able to call into work. It is a luxury I have not been able to exploit for many years due to lack of decent income and hatred of doctors that distribute thy holy work excuse. Now I come to a crossroad where my job is not the be all/end all definition of my existence and I can afford the time off (and a doctor visit). The sickness held me a victim to my own delusions and opened the door to bizarre synchronicities. Being a fan and follower of Discordianism I have eaten this strange situationism up with the proverbial spoon (mmmm.... wordy). Without being too specific, during by beloved call in days I was able to get into contact with a few old friends through strange circumstances and events.

I have ended up listening to a lot of Broadcast, David Cross comedy and discovering Mr. Show. All very productive and enlightening. I also had the opportunity to read 4 trade paper backs of the comic series Y: The Last Man about an interesting young man who discovers himself to be the last living male mammal on the planet along with his monkey Ampersand. The art and the story are magnificent and highly creative. I must read more!

Also, I have forgotten to mention The Fountain. I read the graphic novel a few weeks ago out of anticipation for the new Darren Aronofsky film. The book is very nice, yet I almost found it to be rushed. I was able to devour it in two sittings. It follows the parallel story of three characters searching for the fountain of youth in the name of love during 3 different time periods: past, present and future. After seeing the trailer and reading the book I am very excited for this movie to come out. Darren worked very hard to manifest this story in all of its mediums.

No comments: